Oakville Half Marathon Report – Julie Meltzer

This race was not on my radar, but a friend said she was going so I figured I would join her as a way to get in a challenging long run.

The half marathon is very small with only 586 finishers. Let’s just say I had plenty of room to manoeuvre, but more on that later.

I had no race plan, it was going to be one of those “let’s see what happens” kind of days. Actually, that’s pretty much how I approach all my races.

The route itself is fairly average; shady, nice houses to look at, but very quiet with little to no fan support. The weather was ideal and not too hot.

I was started out nicely and every once in a while I’d come across one of the 2 hour pace bunnies. It entered my mind a few times to try and run a 2 hour, or sub 2 hour race, but I wanted to incorporate the 10 & 1 method into what I was adamant was “just a training run”. And the only time I had run a sub 2 hour race, I ran continuously…so how on earth could I just go against conventional wisdom and run an average 5:25 to 5:30 pace without ever training like that? Good question. Sometimes you just can’t slow down no matter how much your mind tells you to. And when those days happen – take them & run!


At approximately 4kms I was caught daydreaming and I ran into a traffic pylon. Literally. Plowed right into it, my left foot taking the brunt of the impact. I almost fell over, but I managed to keep upright. I was more embarrassed than anything and I didn’t even take the time to put the pylon back in place. I just kept running. My foot was feeling a little pained afterwards, but nothing that made me think twice about stopping. The rest of the race was uneventful and I was still thinking I could maybe pull off a 2 hour race. It was at 20km that I finally realized that not only was I going to run under 2 hours, but I was going to achieve a personal best. With about 100 meters to go I sprinted to the finish, something I have never done before. Usually I am too tired/grumpy/pained to even attempt it. But it’s amazing what chasing a PB can do to you. Final result – 1:57:48. Forty seven seconds faster than 2014’s Scotia Half.


Once I finished and got back to the car my foot was very angry with me. It was swollen and extremely sore. Within about 15 mins of taking off the shoe I couldn’t put any weight on my foot. For the rest of the day I had to hop on my right foot and navigated the stairs by climbing on my hands and knees. Long story short, it’s not broken, just bruised and hopefully I will be back to running this week.