As sent to us by BRC Member Christa Studzinski
I’ve made it with ground turkey and vegetarian (and threw in some extra beans). I’ve also added additional veggies, like mushrooms. It’s healthy, it’s gluten free and if it’s veg version, you can’t even tell! (My husband never even noticed the lack of meat, I promise). Freeze leftovers (if there are any!) in individual containers. They make a great lunch… especially if you are planning a run after work!
1 tbsp olive oil
500 g (1 lb) ground meat (beef, turkey, buffalo) or ground soy substitute
1 cup diced white onion
1 cup diced green pepper (approx 1 pepper)
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
One 796 mL (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes
One 540 mL (19 oz) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
One 398 mL (14 oz) can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed) (I use the 540 mL can of these too)
½ cup quinoa
One 156 mL (5 ½ oz) can of tomato paste
1 cup of water
3 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp white vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat and cook the ground meat until completely browned (if using).
- Stir in the onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Cover and cook about 5 min, or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, quinoa, tomato paste and water.
- Mix in the chilli powder, cocoa powder, oregano, cumin, salt and black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 20 min. (Note: for the quinoa to soften, I actually had to put the lid on for about 15min).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar.
- Serve immediately with sour cream, guacamole, cheese, green onion, tortilla chips or your topping of choice. (Try it with parmesan cheese!)