This is a synopsis of a friend’s blog, which was actually a synopsis of another post. Internet re-hash if you will. But it is good so I am sharing, in a plageristic sort of way, but credit is due to Pricey Runs, and the original post on Precision Nutrition
As I love to point out to anyone that will listen, you will be lucky to spend more then 5% of your time in a week on actualy phycical workouts, wether that be in the gym or on the trails. The real results and gains from exercise happen in the other 95% and it all begins in the kitchen.
Krista Scott-Dixon researches and writes for the Precesion Nutrition team and her post on their site today is a must read. Her summary below ties together the key points nicely for both those looking to drop a few pounds and for those who want to go large.
Eating to get lean
- Notice the reasons that you might over-eat, especially your emotional connection to food.
- Notice the habits and routines that you have around food, such as:
- eating with distractions
- eating too quickly
- eating irregularly
- eating on-the-go with poor food choices
- Notice how you respond to social cues and food situations. You don’t have to eat just because food is there, or because someone suggests it.
- Plan meals and food choices, and establish proper portion sizes in advance. Don’t rely on “eyeballing” things or trying to eat right with no prep.
- Don’t overly restrict or focus on depriving yourself. You’re more likely to eventually over-eat to compensate.
- Choose foods that are less calorie-dense(i.e. lower in calories but higher in volume), such as vegetables. And unless it’s a pre-planned, appropriately sized Supershake, don’t drink your calories.
- Don’t kid yourself about what’s “healthy”. And realize that you can still over-eat “healthy” foods.
- Be mindful and aware throughout eating.